For the times when the generic slathering of Vaseline on the lips is really not enough, this scrub provides gentle exfoliation that rivals the ludicrously expensive products on the market. Read on!
- Grab the sugar! White granulated sugar is more abrasive. Brown sugar is softer. Caster sugar is finer so use for sensitive lips. (Not entirely sure if ‘sensitive lips’ is a known problem, but lets roll with it!)
- After you’ve taken your sugar of choice, add to a small pea size amount of Vaseline or petroleum jelly and mix. The sugar acts as an exfoliator whilst the Vaseline moisturises.
- Gently apply and scrub the mixture onto your lips in a circular motion for best results – it will lift off dead skin cells on the surface to reveal the soft, smooth layer underneath.
- Wipe away the lips (don’t try to lick it off and consume as you will fail. Miserably. This is literally the only downside to this trick). If in need for a more deep cleansing, again, gently use your toothbrush in a circular motion. This also promotes blood flow to the lips surface – bigger, bolder lips will come your way!
- Apply lip balm and you’re ready to go!
I do this once (or twice if the bitter cold consumes me) a week so a batch is not needed – it’s easy enough and doesn’t take 2 seconds. This step is crucial for when you want to apply lipstick and lip liner. It creates a smooth canvas for the product to adhere to, reducing feathering and makes for an easy application!